Current:Home > reviewsUS Army soldier accused of selling sensitive military information changes plea to guilty -GrowthInsight
US Army soldier accused of selling sensitive military information changes plea to guilty
Surpassing Quant Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 18:08:31
NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) — An Army soldier accused of selling sensitive information related to U.S. military capabilities has decided to plead guilty, according to federal court documents.
Sgt. Korbein Schultz, who was also an intelligence analyst, filed a motion late last week requesting a hearing to change his plea.
“Mr. Schultz has decided to change his plea of not guilty to a plea of guilty pursuant to an agreement with the government,” wrote federal public defender Mary Kathryn Harcombe, Schultz’s attorney.
U.S. District Judge Aleta Trauger set the hearing for Aug. 13 — which was originally when Schultz was supposed to go to trial.
No other details about the plea agreement have been released. Harcombe did not immediately respond to an email seeking comment.
Schultz has been accused in a six-count indictment of charges including conspiring to obtain and disclose military defense information and bribery of a public official. The 24-year-old was arrested at Fort Campbell, which straddles the Tennessee-Kentucky line, in March shortly after the indictment was released.
The indictment alleged Schultz — who had a top-secret security clearance — conspired with an individual identified only as “Conspirator A” to disclose various documents, photographs and other national defense materials since June 2022. The indictment said that Schultz was recruited by the individual not only due to his security clearance but also because he was tasked with gathering sensitive U.S. military information.
Some of the information that Schultz supposedly gave to the individual included information related to the High Mobility Artillery Rocket System, hypersonic equipment, studies on future developments of U.S. military forces and studies on military drills and operations in major countries like China.
The indictment said that Schultz was initially asked to provide documents detailing lessons that could be learned from Russia’s war with Ukraine and how those lessons could be applied to the U.S. helping Taiwan in the event of an attack. Schultz was paid $200 for that information, which then prompted Conspirator A to ask for a “long-term partnership.”
Conspirator A, who was described in the indictment as a foreign national purporting to reside in Hong Kong, later suggested that Schultz could earn more money if he handed over “internal only” material rather than unclassified documents.
In total, Shultz received at least 14 payments totaling $42,000.
veryGood! (8)
Related
- All That You Wanted to Know About She’s All That
- Item believed to be large balloon discovered by fishermen off Alaskan coast
- California authorizes expansion of Waymo’s driverless car services to LA, SF peninsula
- NASCAR Las Vegas race March 2024: Start time, TV, streaming, lineup for Pennzoil 400
- DeepSeek: Did a little known Chinese startup cause a 'Sputnik moment' for AI?
- How Apache Stronghold’s fight to protect Oak Flat in central Arizona has played out over the years
- 'Dune: Part Two' brings spice power to the box office with $81.5 million debut
- Suspected drunk driver charged with killing bride on wedding night released on bail
- Juan Soto praise of Mets' future a tough sight for Yankees, but World Series goal remains
- Oklahoma softball upset by Louisiana as NCAA-record win streak ends at 71 games
Ranking
- New data highlights 'achievement gap' for students in the US
- Prisoners with developmental disabilities face unique challenges. One facility is offering solutions
- This classical ensemble is tuned in to today's headlines
- Millions of Americans are family caregivers. A nationwide support group aims to help them
- The Grammy nominee you need to hear: Esperanza Spalding
- Head Start preschools aim to fight poverty, but their teachers struggle to make ends meet
- Caleb Williams is facing colossal expectations. The likely No. 1 NFL draft pick isn't scared.
- Trader Joe's recalls its chicken soup dumplings for possibly having marker plastics
Recommendation
Skins Game to make return to Thanksgiving week with a modern look
More mountain snow expected even as powerful blizzard moves out of Northern California
Medical groups urge Alabama Supreme Court to revisit frozen embryo ruling
A cross-country effort to capture firsthand memories of Woodstock before they fade away
The company planning a successor to Concorde makes its first supersonic test
Caleb Williams is facing colossal expectations. The likely No. 1 NFL draft pick isn't scared.
First over-the-counter birth control pill heads to stores
Taylor Swift performs 'Story' mashup for Singapore's secret songs on Eras Tour